Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Dancing

Why do Baptist not believe in having sex standing up??? Because it may lead to dancing.

Perhaps you have to come from a background like mine to truly appreciate that joke. As a child I was taught that dancing was a HUGE sin. On prom nights, the Baptists put on alternate parties to keep the kids from dancing and sex. The two were ridiculously connected. Preachers preached, Sunday School teachers taught, parents lectured that dancing was wrong, really really wrong. Therefore dancing and sex were one and the same to my young mind. I've heard folks say they were married before they knew that dancing wasn't foreplay.

In Arkansas this past visit it came up how radical we were on this topic. Michael, my brother piped up with, "Imagine my surprise when I went to my first dance and didn't get sex."

Labels: , ,