Friday, November 9, 2007

pregnant thoughts

Stephanie recently told me about some of her unrealistic desires and expectations prior to Roman's arrival. I was amused by these as I did the exact same thing with every single pregnancy. I got these grandiose ideas of things that had to be done before I could possibly have a baby. Before Stephanie's birth I had to get above the kitchen cupboards wall-papered. So at 41 weeks pregnant (she came at 42 weeks) I lumbered up and down the kitchen counters wall-papering.

I was so tickled to learn that others, Stephanie namely, got these same weird ways of thinking during the last days of pregnancy.

For one, Stephanie insisted that her back yard be fenced before Roman came. She fretted and spoke openly about this need. Her father-in-law saw the obvious flaw and eloquently suggested that Roman wouldn't be playing in the backyard for a while.

Another thing that Stephanie insisted on was looking good for delivery. This tickled me too, as I rolled my hair in hot rollers and put on makeup before I went to the hospital for Stephanie and Christopher's births.

Stephanie told me about getting a new hair cut "for delivery." Post-birth she saw how silly this was. She said, "I don't know what I was thinking. I knew he wasn't going to come out and say 'Woe, are you ever cute!'"

I was amused.

Labels: ,