Thursday, January 17, 2008

hammer and nail

It's been a strange night around here. First Rachael came to me and made the motion of putting her finger in the hole made by the fisted other hand. This motion, if you don't know, is slang sign language for the sexual act. In youth lingo, it's called "hammer and nail" or at least that is what my co-habiting youth tell me.

So she makes this motion and asks, "Mom, don't you think this should be called "nail and wood" rather than "hammer and nail." I thought for a nano-second and then agreed.

Moments later Hannah entered, and obviously they've talked about this because what does Hannah ask but, "Mom, don't you think this should be called "nail and wood" instead of "hammer and nail?"

I answer yes and return to my reading, grateful to have a handy diversion.

Tick tock tick tock, maybe 90 seconds pass before Hannah breaks the silence. "Mom what does sex feel like?"

I resisted the urge to slap, spit, or twitch. Instead I asked, "How long is the phase gonna last?"

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

Anonymous *mindi* said...

i've always thought that when the time comes, i would want my kids to feel comfortable coming to me with any questions they have about sex.

this very conversation makes me reconsider.

January 17, 2008 at 10:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm laughing--hard.

January 18, 2008 at 8:22 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I read this earlier in the a.m. and have just quit twitching enough to type a response - I thank God that I always worked two -three jobs and kept my kids busy w/AWANA, Girl scouts, Mowing and any sports activity.... Questions like this never came up....NOW WHEN WE GET TOGETHER AND HAVE SEX TALKS I TAKE NOTES!
Love ya Lawana

January 18, 2008 at 6:14 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home