Monday, February 25, 2008

Mark Twain said...

I just finished a book about Mark Twain. Here are some Twain quotes that I liked.

Sometimes my feelings are so hot that I have to take the pen and put them out on paper to keep them from setting me afire inside.

Plain clarity is better than ornate obscurity.

The eye has a good memory.

Cauliflower is nothing but cabbage with a college education.

He [a publisher] has been dead a quarter of a century now. My bitterness against him has faded away and disappeared. I feel only compassion for him and if I could send him a fan I would.

I like criticism, but I like it my way.

Laughter without a tinge of philosophy is but a sneeze of humor. Genuine humor is replete with wisdom.

A crowd like that can make a great deal of silence when they combine.

I was sorry to have my name mentioned as one of the great authors, because they have a sad habit of dying off. Chaucer is dead. Spenser is dead, so is Milton, so is Shakespeare, and I'm not feeling very well myself.

Mark Twain hated Jane Austen's work. "It seems a great pity to me that they allowed her to die a natural death."

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home