Saturday, March 1, 2008

John Mark

Fall 2007 John Mark and a roaring Romie Boy.

This week my son-in-law John Mark has been on my mind. I have smiled many times as I've recalled things he said and expressions he made while I was with them in October. I felt very comfortable (too comfortable??) there.

One night Stephanie had indigestion. I encouraged her to drink a cup of water with a tad of baking soda in it. Stephanie and JM were sceptical about my home remedy. I waxed eloquent guaranteeing it would do the trick. Stephanie wasn't sold on the idea. I reminded her of the burping contests Christopher and I had had in the past. I swear JM's eyes lit up when I said, "burping contest." I was only too thrilled to mix each of us a cocktail and proclaim confidently, "just give it a minute." Within moments we were burping loud and proud, trying to outdo each other. Stephanie was an under-achiever in the game, but I had fun and I think JM did too. (Should you want me to lead a burping contest in your living room, my services are free for the asking.) John Mark and I bonded that night.

One evening I went with them to their small group Bible Study. In the course of the evening an elderly lady motioned toward JM and said, "It's like John David was saying last week..." Puzzled and probably looking it, JM leaned over and said, "last week she called me John Paul." Something about the way he non-chalantly accepted his lot of being called different names struck me as so funny. I leaned in and responded, "pretty soon you'll be Jesus Christ."

One day Romie Boy had two white dots on his penis. JM was changing him and discovered it. He called Stephanie (the nurse) in to look at it. She called me in. We stood over Roman all looking at the dots. Stephanie touched and discovered one dot was a piece of lint. She picked it up and authoritatively declared, "This is a piece of lint!"

John Mark who knew all along that that dot was lint - it was the other dot he was concerned about - looked at Steph. With the corner of his mouth slightly upturned he countered, "Stephanie, I know what a piece of lint looks like."

Every baby penis I've ever known has does the white-dot thing. I wasn't concerned a bit. Steph and JM continued to probe around the little white dot. Again with unabashed authority, Stephanie announced that aside from the white dot, "that's what a penis is supposed to look like." JM looked at Steph with just a hint of irritation and said, "Stephanie I know what a penis looks like." I about split my gut laughing.

But the hardest I laughed the whole time I was there was at an expression he made. How can I accurately describe an expression? I can't. You'll have to trust me on this one. But it went sort of like this. A somewhat proper friend at Steph's work, Sally, had asked a hugely invasive question when she came to visit Steph after Roman was born. Steph couldn't understand where the question "came from" as it wasn't the tone of their friendship at all. However inappropriate Sally's question was, she still asked it in her "proper" way. The nearly horrifying question? Well it was, and I quote, "Have you and John Mark been able to resume sexual intercourse?"

Now for me, the horror was the question being asked, period. Steph shared my sentiment. It was the question itself that was so out of bounds. Stephanie somehow forgot to tell JM about this until I was there. I will never forget how it went. I was so expecting JM to be repulsed by the question having been asked. When Steph told him, he wrinkled his nose ever so slightly and his top lip turned up in a sickened grimace, and he said, "resume?" It was the word resume in the context of sexual relations that so repulsed him. I can in no way relate how funny it was. It was at that moment I discovered I had incontinence issues. And still, months later I find myself curling my lip up and saying, "resume?" and laughing out loud.

Every evening when JM got home he took Romie Boy and together they cuddled, fitting together like hand in glove until Roman went to sleep for the night. It delighted me to my core.

A couple years ago I didn't know how a child-in-law changes one. For me, prayer focus has always been on my offspring, but now to fully "cover" my Stephie Pooh in prayer, I pray for JM. For in praying for JM, I know I'm praying for JM, Steph, and Roman. I'm profoundly thankful that me prayers for JM aren't borne out of burden, but rather thanksgiving.

"Thank You God for JM and for helping him be a good husband, good daddy, and good man."

Labels: , , ,

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Val what a sweet Mom and Mom in law you are. Blessed with a great son in law and wondermous grandson. Loved the humor in these stories..
Lawana

March 1, 2008 at 11:43 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like John Mark too. I'm a softie for good daddies and he is one and he's a good husband. Very comfortable fella to be around. Glad you got to bond.
Stacie

March 2, 2008 at 12:33 PM  
Anonymous *mindi* said...

such funny stories. :) JM's a keeper. making cute babies is just a bonus ;)

March 2, 2008 at 5:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

let the baby-making RESUME.

March 2, 2008 at 6:40 PM  
Blogger Steph said...

I don't know who left the last comment--I'm assuming you mom, but its funny

March 2, 2008 at 7:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'll never tell;)

March 2, 2008 at 9:14 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home