Thursday, March 6, 2008

midget

Rebekah 2007.

I saw a dwarf today. I don't recall the politically correct word. Is it dwarf or midget? One's been deemed derogatory, - I think it's midget but I'm not positive. Perhaps I should say I saw a vertically challenged gentleman.

When my sister Stacie's twins were little they were as cute as could be. (They still are). In this particular memory they must have been around 4. Straight black hair, black observant eyes, thick little cheeks, thin dark bodies. They were somber and studious. Instead of asking tons of questions like my kids tended to, Rebekah and Emily studied people and surroundings quietly. They were very gentle little people.

(When I was a single mom with just Stephanie and Christopher, I briefly dated a fellow from hell. In our last blessed conversation he asked me, "Why can't your kids be more like your sister's?" Dreadfully mature, I responded with, "Why can't your breath smell like something other than a rotting armadillo carcass?" -- But that is a totally different story.)

When Emily and Rebekah saw their first dwarf they were impressed with the oddity. Stacie carefully explained that he was a midget. The second time they saw one, Rebekah recalled the former conversation but not perfectly. "Mama there's a pigeon," she said. Stacie corrected her quietly and gently with, "He's a midget, not a pigeon. A pigeon is a bird."

Months passed. Stacie was walking with the twins, holding each one by the chubby little hand, when they saw a dwarf entering a doctor's office. Studying him, Rebekah said, "There's a pidget."

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Totally hilarious! Rebekah just keeps going till she gets it right.
I enjoy your posts so much!
Mom

March 6, 2008 at 5:08 PM  
Blogger Accidental Poet said...

I thought they were migeons ...

March 7, 2008 at 3:19 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home