Monday, May 26, 2008

dragon boating

Tonight was the WahineKeiWaka's first night on the river for the season. Therefore tonight was my first night in a dragon boat. The river was very high and swift. I got down to the river and wondered, will they cancel practice when they see how swift the current is. Don't get me wrong, I was excited to get on the river I just thought it looked a wee bit dangerous. There was no mention of cancelling.

We were given our bench order and told to take our seats. I had two visions competing for brain space. One was of my capsized kayak last summer. The other was my sinking our family canoe the summer before that. With trepidation I stepped into the boat. Whew, it stayed upright and above water.

When I was a little girl my mom took a job planting trees. On her first day on the job (which was also her last day) she came home early. She parked the car and then honked the horn. Then she honked again and then again. Puzzled, my dad went to see what the problem was. The next thing I saw was Daddy picking Mama up and carrying her into the house. Plantin' trees wasn't easy.

Tonight after 1 1/2 hours of paddling UPSTREAM in a swift river I sat in my van calculating the route home that had the fewest turns. My upper body needed rest and I knew my reflexes weren't what they had been 2 hours earlier. I drove home - the straightest route I could think of - wondering how long I'd have to sit in the driveway before Gordon would think to come and check on me. I didn't need him to carry me in like my mom did, (I know Gordon is glad about that), I just needed him to put the car in park, turn off the ignition, and open the door for me. Alas, he wasn't on the ball that way. I managed on my own, but was very aware that my upper body had just been buffeted into subjection just like the Apostle Paul admonished. I didn't have the strength to fart, much less lift my arms.

I remembered Mama and her planting trees and I chuckled.

I am thankful to the good Lord, and I mean that in all seriousness, that I had the good sense to work on my cardio prior to getting on the river. Had I not been preparing for the past 6 weeks, I would have thrown myself overboard and said "no really, ya'll go on without me. I'll be fine." Thank You God, and again, I mean that in all seriousness.

I'm hear to tell you I MADE IT. I'm thinking about what I might look like at the end of the summer. I'm afraid I'll loose my toned look and take on a bulky mass look. I hope not. The bulky look just wouldn't suit me, you know?

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Jones said...

way to go! you got a lot of guts going rowing, i tried it in hawaii one time and um...was asked not to return. so there! you go girl!

May 27, 2008 at 12:15 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home