Monday, May 19, 2008

a dreadlock-thinking victoria day


Happy Victoria Day to all you Canucks. Happy May 19 to all you non-Canucks. I hope to be a full fledged Canadian citizen by July 1. July 1 is our equivalent to July 4. I think it would be so cool to be sworn in on Canada Day. No promises about when my citizenship process will be over, but I'd never forget the day and the symbolism of it all if I got a Canada Day swearing in.

For those of you wondering what Victoria Day is, Victoria Day is celebration of the Queen's birthday. When it became a holiday, Victoria was the queen. Now it's the celebration of Queen Elizabeth's birthday, but it's still called Victoria Day. I wonder if that chaps Queen Elizabeth's royal hide. :-)

I have a mild fascination with dreadlocks. Ever since I heard a favorite writer talk about her dreadlocks with so much appreciation, I've been curious and a slightly envious of dreadlocks. I have painfully unstylish hair. And because I'm a "no maintenance" kind of person, I can't be bothered to make it look any better. It's fine and straight and generally as boring as hair can get.

I've kept this fascination with dreadlocks under my hat. My getting dreadlocks wouldn't go over well with anyone, so it seemed wise to keep it under my hat. However when asked "what would you do if you had the nerve?" my inner answer is get dreadlocks. Once you get dreadlocks, you get rid of them by shaving your head. So it's not like I could try them on for fit and then casually decide, "I don't look too good with dreads." Getting dreadlocks is a pretty big decision.

Many people I'm sure can't fathom why I'd even be fascinated. So let me explain just a little bit about dreadlocks. (Please note I know very little about them, just what I've read.) Dreadlocks aren't necessarily dirty. You can wash them regularly. Admittedly they look like a mass of tangles. What about that seems attractive to me? Quite frankly it's this. My hair wouldn't hug my head with ugly regularity if I had dreadlocks. Presently my hair sticks to my head like a barnacle sticks to a rock. It would look like a tangly mess, but it wouldn't look thin and boring and lacking personality. I really appreciate hair with personality.

So there you have it, a secret longing of mine. This morning a couple of my girls caught me looking at dreadlocks on the net. When I explained that I'd like to have dreadlocks, they yelled, "Mom no. You can't do that? Daaaaadddd, Mom's gonna get dreadlocks," which of course I never said. They took off toward Dad like I'd just packed my bags and said I was leaving with the mailman. I heard them tell him I was getting dreadlocks and I heard him respond confidently, "No she's not."

"Yes she is Dad, she said she was."

Gordon came upstairs and asked what the girls were talking about. I told him it was nothing more than a fascination. I didn't tell him all my rationalizations that I just spilled here.

He responded, "Dreadlocks are disgusting. They're sickening.... But I'll support you 100%."

So that puts a new spin on things. I wonder.....

3 Comments:

Anonymous *mindi* said...

i swear we are the same person.
i have a bunch of pictures on my computer of cute dreadlocks that i find online, and i keep thinking i will do it some day. (my hair would need to be a little longer than it is now, since i don't want it to lock up too short after they start doing their thing)

i'll do it if you do it. ;)

p.s. was the author Anne Lamott?

May 19, 2008 at 5:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes Mindi it was Anne Lamott. If I do it, I'll expect you to. :-) I'm curious what the feedback will be from the fam.... We'll keep it in mind ok. Maybe we can even do it together on some trip to Arkansas. Now that would be cool. Meet in Ark for a dread appointment. v

May 19, 2008 at 5:32 PM  
Anonymous *mindi* said...

and a tatoo! mom would join us then :)

although gordon would probably like me the least of all the relatives after that.

May 21, 2008 at 12:08 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home