Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Dragon Coaches and such

Last night was another practice. I think I'm getting the hang of this dragon boating business. Is it ever a good workout. In other words, Boy do I nearly die out there on the water. I keep thinking it will get easier but the old timers say it never does. They say that the coaches continually push you. So when we can race 4 minutes of quality fast paddling, they bump us to 8 minutes. When we can do 8 minutes of high quality fast paddling, they move us to 12. I honestly don't know how I will cope with more than 6 minutes of fast paddling. Lest you think 4 of 5 minutes of hard paddling is nothing, well you don't know what dragon boat paddling is like. I told my mom it's the hardest thing I've done since leaving the farm.

On a slightly humorous note, I keep learning things about dragon boating that make me smile. Somehow I ended up on a competitive team when there are recreational teams available. I didn't know to specify recreational, so here I am on a competitive team. I'm glad I didn't know. Had I known I had options, I'm sure I would have gone recreational. Now I'm forced to apply every muscle I've got to dragon boating and I'm sure it is GREAT for me.

Our coaches are two Chinese men who are kind of cute and very muscular. On the first night I thought they were charming and well built. Now their once lovely smiles are nothing short of evil ways to show their fangs. WahineKeiWaka means "women in canoe." I wish many times during practice that they'd fall out of our women canoe. It is all very hard, especially for me being a few pounds overweight and all. But this is the year of getting in shape and I'm well on my way.

Did I mention I fell into the boat two practices ago? I was kind of woozy on the dock and for reasons I can't explain, I flew headlong into the lap of my bench partner and a few others. Back in 1998 I began a life journey of aspiring to walk in humility, daily praying to recognize pride in myself and chose humility. God has made that prayer a reality, and reinforces it nearly on a daily basis. Dragon boating, and falling into the boat, are just two more exercises in humility. So along with aching muscles, I'm sporting bruises on my torso and legs. Poor girl who took the brunt of my fall, I broke her sunglasses and stunned her into oblivion. Last night she didn't show up. I hope she's ok.

On a non-dragon-boating note, I'm actually getting writing assignments at work now. I've been doing little writing jobs along the way, but now I'm getting real writing work. I'm very happy about that.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger Jones said...

you go girl...getting stronger every day! you show 'em who's boss, you can do it! hope that girls' ok...tell her to put on her big girl panties and suck it up..works for me.

June 4, 2008 at 10:16 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you for the encouragement J. I like that. I'm gonna tell her to put on her big girl panties, if I ever see her again. She just may quit dragon boating after her unfortunate experience last time.

June 4, 2008 at 2:41 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home