Tuesday, July 22, 2008

just some stuff

I abhor it when people don't keep up their blogs. I'm going to have to lower the bar eh? I haven't been a model blogger have I?

Just a few things:

-- Rachael turned 13 on Sunday. She and I went on a date last night. We went for a haircut and Rachael looks beautiful. She has the thick hair in the family. I'm so envious. And she looks good in any style. She is a pleasure to hang out with. Yesterday I was thinking of her great-big-ginormous-cackling laugh when she was a few months old. Not only was it huge, but it was her first time to laugh. You've heard the story before... She was in her car seat on the kitchen table while I was sitting there paying bills and drinking iced tea. I took a drink and because of the way a cube of ice met my lips, I made a big slurp. She started this wild cackling. It was the sweetest noise in the world. I slurped again and again and again and she laughed and laughed and laughed. I had time to phone Gordon at work so he could listen, I phoned my mom and I phoned Stacie. And she just kept laughing. All I had to do was slurp. A few weeks later the same thing happened except the strange noise was me eating an apple. Crunch. Huge laugh. Crunch. Huge laugh. It's a precious memory.

-- Hannah is at church camp. I miss her terribly. I mailed her a letter yesterday. I know she's having a great time because she hasn't phoned yet. When she starts getting a little homesick, that's when she'll start phoning.

-- Deborah is getting tall. She is so social. She will be in the yard for hours at a time with all the neighborhood girls. It's really kind of sad for our relationship. Sometimes I feel disconnected from her. She'll walk in the door and I'll think weird thoughts like, when did you get that tall?, when did you get so tanned?, when did your hair turn that blond? She is home nearly all the time, but it's as though she's not. She's constantly with her friends. She lives for friendship and fun with all her friends. Yes, it makes me kind of sad. If it's true that good parents slowly work themselves out of the picture, then I can take comfort that I've been a good mom. Otherwise I'll just be sad.

-- Work is very good. I still marvel at how God gave me such a good job that is so perfect for me and my little family. I'm very very thankful.

-- Dragon Boating is my fabulous outlet. It's the hardest hobby I've ever had or probably ever will have, but it's rewarding. We had another festival this weekend. We didn't win any medals. We were the only all women's team there so our competition was men's and mixed teams. We outperformed a bunch of them making it into the A Division. But also in the A Division were teams that were in the Nationals. We're talking real good. We placed 6th. But just doing it is rewarding when you know you've done well. We did really really well, we were just out-muscled. Oh yeah, and the races were shorter and my team excels at distance, not sprints. Some people said we would have been 4th place had the race been longer, but that's just speculation. I've been assigned the left side of the boat. I'm right handed so this is quite the challenge for me. The left side needs my weight to balance the boat. Saying it that way sounds so much better than saying I make the right side too heavy.

-- I had to get some new clothes. My clothes were getting too big. I bought a size I haven't worn in years. Yippee. I guess the Chinese Water Torture is paying off.

-- I go for my Canadian citizenship test on Thursday. I am very excited about this. After the test I'll find out when I will get sworn in. After being sworn in I'll be a full fledged Canadian citizen, having dual citizenship (US of course).

-- Gordon is doing very well. I'm so proud of him in for his career accomplishments. I think he's amazing. He just finished putting in ceramic tile in the back entrance. It's a huge improvement.

-- My house is untidy and it has been for a few months, since dragon boating started to be exact. I'm either on the water or too tired from having been on the water. Seems the house just doesn't stay tidy for long these days. Drats.

Labels: , , , ,

4 Comments:

Anonymous *mindi* said...

i wish that Dragon Boating was my excuse for my messy house.

congratulations on the new clothes! that's fun :)

July 23, 2008 at 1:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just a few more days. I'm getting super excited...a little nervous about the flight, but I think he will do really good. Can't wait to see you guys.

Awesome about the clothes....thats great

July 23, 2008 at 7:20 AM  
Blogger Jones said...

thanks for the update...was wondering where you'd gone off to.

way to go with the smaller clothes! you go girl...that chinese torture is really paying off.

i'm walking military style on my breaks in the evening. nobody can catch me in my dust, it's working tho'

enjoy your summer.......fellow blogger/slacker

July 23, 2008 at 9:49 AM  
Anonymous xanga.com/lwanna said...

Hey Happy belated Birthday to your teenager! Congrats on your dual citizenship and the competetive weight loss - woo hoo - for down sizing - You really need to bring dragon boating to the south... :) I should be grandma again w/in a week! (come on baby Jonas)
Love
Lawana

July 23, 2008 at 9:34 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home