Monday, October 6, 2008

boot camp, round 2

This morning at 5:00 I started month 2 of (physical fitness) boot camp. Although I'm the only one in this class that's a second-timer, I'm still the most overweight and out-of-shape. Sigh. (I get the distinct impression boot camp is not a favored past time for fat folks).

My friend Elaine is boot camping with me this month. Right off the bat this morning she pulled something in her leg and from that moment on she was the class grunter. I was happy to surrender the title.

Someone said, I think it was Anais Nin, that we see the world as we are, not as the world is. As I was driving home this morning I thought about my first day of boot camp last month. It was so hard for me; I thought I might die -- literally. It was hard this morning too, but not once did I think I was closing in on death.

When I got home, Gordon greeted me by sweetly (and proudly, he's proud of me for all this effort) asking, "How are you doing?" I was pleased to be able to reply, "I'm a whole lot better than I was this time last month."

After a shower I fell back into bed and slept another 45 minutes. The first day last month, I nearly slept the whole day.

My point? I realized this morning that last month I went on and on about how hard boot camp was. Experiencing it freshly again this morning, I realized with clarity that the problem isn't how hard boot camp is, rather how out of shape I am. I spent the month seeing the world (boot camp) as I am, not how it (boot camp) is. I can't say I'll enjoy it, but again, I know I'll be a better and more fit person having done it.

Again, my goal is to finish the month without missing any sessions.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Way to go valerie - you are def getting a surprise from me for Not Missing a day! Stay in there - and great is your reward!
Love
Lawana

October 6, 2008 at 7:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Honey, I marvel. I am proud, and this is a wise post. Thank You.

-Gordon

October 7, 2008 at 7:05 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home