Thursday, October 30, 2008

Pineapple

I've not mentioned that I've become a vegetarian. It all started as an environmental decision. A few years ago I read how the cattle industry contributes 1/5 of all greenhouse emissions. That was when I cut back on our family's meat consumption. I didn't cut it out all together, I cut our meaty meals to 3 or 4 times a week.

Then a few months ago I read this and it pretty well did me in. I've not had meat since and I have hardly missed it.

The other day coming home from school Deborah asked if we could have pizza for supper. She'd no more asked when she said, "Oh yeah, you're a vegetarian. Never mind."

A few minutes later she asked if I could make a ham and pineapple pizza with just the pineapple. It reminded me of when my young nephew Randy got a job at a pizza joint when he was around 16. He had never experienced Hawaiian pizza and was mildly repulsed by the idea of pineapple on pizza.

His employers weren't the gentlest of souls. One day Randy goofed on something. The boss went kind of ballistic and started hollering. "What's wrong with these pizzas?" he barked at Randy. Randy pondered the question, unsure of what he'd done wrong, and then hesitantly answered, "They have pineapple on them?"

2 Comments:

Anonymous *mindi* said...

i remember that story :)

we love pineapple pizza, although it REALLY grossed me out when i was a kid.

i think it was the Canadian bacon that grossed me out the most, though. Or I guess that would be ham to you now, eh? ;)

We should swap veg recipes, I could use some inspiration right now. getting out of the veg. routine has made it really hard for me to commit 100% again.

are you cooking separate meals for the family?

maybe I'll email you, this could lead to some LONG blog comments. ;)

October 30, 2008 at 9:26 PM  
Anonymous Joey said...

Your initial gradual approach to vegetarianism is one that can be seen more and more frequently in the US. Flexitarianism, the act of cutting back but not entirely eliminating meat, is gaining popularity for a number of reasons: environmental, economic, moral etc.

I work for a non-profit public health campaign called Meatless Mondays, which takes a medical spin on it. The mission of Meatless Mondays is to reduce American's meat intake by 15% thus reducing an individual's chances of getting heart disease, cancer, stroke, and diabetes. Reducing your meat by 15% can be achieved just by cutting meat out of your diet one day per week (we encourage Mondays, hence the name.) If anyone is interested in healthy, affordable, tasty meatless recipes, I suggest you log-on to http://www.meatlessmonday.com. If you liked the combination of sweet and savory flavors, like the pineapple pizza you mentioned, you should check out the Apple, Pecan, and "sausage" stuffed acorn squash. Its listed in the recipe library archives under dinner: http://www.meatlessmonday.com/site/PageServer?pagename=browsedinner

November 3, 2008 at 2:40 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home