Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Thanksgiving 1

Monday is Canadian Thanksgiving. Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday. It’s not the festivities that make it my favorite, but rather the spirit of gratitude that it’s all about.Traditionally on Thanksgiving I make a list of things I’m thankful for. The list seems to go on and on. Yesterday I had a brainy idea of sharing individual posts of some of my thanks. I’m beginning today and I’m doing it until US Thanksgiving. (After all, I’m both an American and a Canadian.)

Canadian and US Thanksgiving falls roughly a month a part. In the early days of our marriage I strove to celebrate both holidays in a festive manner. Alas, it was too much effort to facilitate work and school schedules. Now we just celebrate Canadian Thanksgiving, but in my heart I celebrate both.

Today’s thanks: The Sense of Sound.

In the past I’ve under-appreciated the wonder of hearing. I have sensitive ears and often feel assaulted by noise. Furthermore I have a high need for peace, quiet, and down-time. On numerous occasions I’ve spurned the onslaught of racket. Trucks, loud cars and motorcycles, loud music, ringing telephones, saws, airplanes, the lady beside me who talks incessantly,… I focused more on the sounds I hated and regretfully, little on the sweet wonderful sounds that fill my life. I realize it’s a no-brainer for most people but it’s a fairly recent reason for thanksgiving for me. I never stopped to consider all the lovely sounds that infuse my every day.

Yesterday Deborah and I were outside in a steady fall breeze. I said, “Shhh. Hear that?” We listened to the breeze in the poplars and it was music to my ears. I told Deborah I think the leaves are one of God’s musical instruments. He sends the breeze and makes glorious melodies.

How many times have I been blessed beyond words by my children’s laughter? Innumerable. Even as I type this I smile at the thought of those sounds.

How often in years past did I smile (and I’m smiling now too) when my babies woke from naps and stood in the cribs and beckoned me with the sweet chirp, “Ma-Ma?” Priceless memories.

I remember Romie Boy and his “Whazat?” (“What’s that?” for those of you who may not understand Romanese.) I think of his “whazats?” often and joy wells up in me.

The sweet words from my children, they bless me day in and day out. A couple of days ago Rachael and I were walking when out of the blue she said, “Mom, I love you.” *Smile*

Gordon has a deliciously warm voice that makes me all cozy inside.

Johann Sebastian Bach’s music always relaxes me.

Lucy Dog’s groans of ecstasy when I rub behind her ears, it’s too cute for words.

God, I’m very very grateful to hear. Thank you for giving me the sense of sound.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home