Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Goals for 2009

“Don’t let the perfect be the enemy of the good.” ~Voltaire

Regarding New Years Resolutions, Mark Twain said this on a January 2nd years ago. "Yesterday, everybody smoked his last cigar, took his last drink, and swore his last oath. Today, we are a pious and exemplary community." That is good for a smile isn't it?

Over the past two weeks I cannot count the times I've heard "80% of the people who make resolutions have fogotten about them by February." But I still make them and I still keep some of them. I never keep them all, but maybe that's because I make too many. It's something I love to do. I really really love starting the year with a new set of goals.

My 2009 goals for this year, in no particular order.

1)- Give up fiction for January and Lent. (so far, so good)
2)- Give blood 4 times.
3)- Clean up my recycling act. (My recycling has suffered since moving to a town that doesn't have the awesome recycling program Edmonton has.)
4)- Work towards running 10K. (This is my loftiest goal of the year.)
5)- Keep laundry current.
6)- Keep bathroom floors clean.
7)- Keep up my Club Fit regimen and continue to intensify it.
8)- Buy a new carbon steel paddle for dragon boating.
9)- Buy a new PFD for dragon boating.
10)- Get fence fixed.
11)- Drop melaleuca.
12)- Lower grocery budget by $25 a pay period.
13)- Work on Christmas Child Shoeboxes throughout the year.
14)- Vacuum at least once a week.
15)- Get to know new neighbors.
16)- Build a website.
17)- Take swimming lessons.
18)- Take square dancing lessons. (Don't laugh at me.)
19)- Blog more steadily; pace better. I'm thinking Monday, Wednesday, and Friday.
20)- Lose 20 pounds.
21)- Improve photography skills. Play along with Mindi's challenges.
22)- Embrace winter.
23)- Read Deuteronomy and the Psalms.
24)- Activly participate in my new book club.
25)- Practice thinking about what I'm thinking about. Meaning, clean up my thought life.

Labels:

5 Comments:

Blogger Homekeeping Heart said...

I've resolved to not make New Year's Resolutions because I usually disappoint myself. As quoted before by someone whom I can't remember, 'the New Year is a fresh start on old habits.' This is my practice!

January 23, 2009 at 12:48 PM  
Anonymous Tamra @ It all started with a kiss said...

25! love the square dancing one. :)

January 23, 2009 at 2:00 PM  
Blogger Melissa @ The Inspired Room said...

Good for you on listing your goals! I look forward to reading how it goes for you this year!

thanks for sharing,
melissa

January 23, 2009 at 5:35 PM  
Blogger Mrs.RGS said...

Give up fiction? I'd love to hear what you mean by that. It made me stop and think. I rarely read fiction and sometimes I think I need to inject some into my life. But giving it up -- does that mean not watching it on TV as well? I only have three TV shows that I watch but all three are fictional. The rest of my TV watching is on the History channel and such.
I hope you elaborate on this -- I'd love to hear more.
Rita

January 24, 2009 at 1:31 PM  
Blogger Valerie Dykstra said...

Thank you girls for your comments. You made my day.

Now Mrs RGS, to answer your question about fiction. Perhaps I should have given some background when I made that goal. I read too much fiction last year. I really really over-did it and it wasn't healthy. I won't tell you how many books I read, please trust me. Anyhow that's the background. I've started 2009 filling my mind and heart with good things that will help me, not just entertain me. Does that clear up that question?

Thanks for visiting.

January 26, 2009 at 11:51 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home