Tuesday, January 27, 2009

My 2008 Favorite Books List


I belong to Goodreads.com and I really like it. Put simply, it's a place to record what I read and see what a few friends are reading too. I used write notes about good books in a notebook. Now I don't have to do the notebook thing. I just record my thoughts or notes from the book on my goodreads site. Much easier to refer back to.

You'll see that my reviews usually aren't real reviews. They are simply my notes about the book.

From the books I read in 2008, these are my favorite. Drumroll please...

The Shack by William P. Young Read my notes from this amazing book here.

Eat, Pray, Love: One Woman's Search for Everything Across Italy, India and Indonesia by Elizabeth Gilbert Read my gleanings here.

The Year of Living Biblically: One Man's Humble Quest to Follow the Bible As Literally As Possible by A.J. Jacobs I really enjoyed his falling in love with the sacred. Read my notes here.

Crazy for God: How I Grew Up as One of the Elect, Helped Found the Religious Right, and Lived to Take All (or Almost All) of It Back by Frank Schaeffer I laughed a number of times during this book. It's not for everyone and might offend some terribly but I really liked it. Read my review here.

Fit From Within: 101 Simple Secrets to Change Your Body and Your Life - Starting Today and Lasting Forever by Victoria Moran A nice easy read on a subject I love. Read my notes here.

Blackbird: A Childhood Lost and Found by Jennifer Lauck A touching memoir about a little girl who lost everything. Read my review here.

Not Quite What I Was Planning: Six-Word Memoirs by Writers Famous and Obscure A fun insightful read. Read my thoughts here.

A Tree Grows in Brooklyn by Betty Smith I didn't write a review but I loved the book and gave it 4 stars.

Unveiling Islam: An Insider's Look at Muslim Life and Beliefs by Ergun Mehmet Caner Not exactly an easy read, but hugely insightful. I learned a ton. Read my review here.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Jones said...

I read "Eat, Pray, Love" on vacation and thought it was a great book for reading while relaxing but challenging enough to stick with me even afterwards. I've recommended several times since. "The Shack" is one I know lots of people have found to be good but I just couldn't get through it, too wordy for me. Can't say I've read any of the others on your list, you obviously read a lot more than I do. Must be all that spare time you have...LOL

January 28, 2009 at 10:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yep Jones, All that time you're galleyvanten around the tropical world I'm at home reading. :-) v

January 29, 2009 at 7:53 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home